I know I post a lot of vegetarian and vegan recipes on here. I adore vegetables. I go gaga for tofu. But here’s the thing. I love bacon. In fact, bacon is one of the primary reasons I can’t switch to vegetarianism permanently.
So today, I present to you my new discovery: Fruity Bacon Salad. It’s veggie-packed with a sprinkling of crispy bacon and topped with a delightfully fruity salad dressing from Trader Joe’s. There’s no fruit in the salad, though (unless tomatoes are fruit? I’m still not sure what they are). But the taste is fruity. Just try it, you’ll understand.
- Several handfuls of salad greens*
- 1/2 c. chopped vegetables — I used the Healthy 8 Mix from Trader Joe’s
- 3 slices of baked turkey bacon
- 10 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 c. lite cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c. Trader Joe’s Champagne Pear Vinaigrette
- See updates at end of post
* Nutrition calculated using Trader Joe’s Champs Elysees mix, but most blends have similar nutrition stats
- Assemble your goodies.
- Chop the bacon up into small bits. Slice your tomatoes in half.
- Measure everything into a mixing bowl and toss until everything is well-combined.
- Serve on a beautiful plate like a civilized person. Alternately, pull a Cardigan-Clad Culinary and eat it by greedy forkfuls out of the mixing bowl.
Serves 1 (unless you want to share) | Calories: 329 | Carbs: 26 g | Protein: 21 g | Fat: 14.3 g | Fiber: 5.1 g
Update 3/3/14: Successful additions to this salad include real fruit (apples), dried fruit, and nuts. I’ve also successfully swapped in blue cheese, and it’s my new favorite cheese for this salad!