Let’s just clear the elephant in the room right now: I didn’t take enough pictures of this recipe. In fact, I only took one. On my phone.
Why? you might ask.
Well, I made this dinner for our anniversary. So I was trying to be in the moment. Trying to stay off my phone. Trying to shove bites of this delicious creation into my mouth.
The first time I had panzanella was at Home D Pizzeria (our regular restaurant, if you haven’t noticed by how much I write about it). Panzanella is, at its most basic, salad with bread in it. Most panzanella –including Home D’s — has traditional antipasti ingredients like olives and artichokes and proscuitto mixed into greens with oil and vinegar and tossed with bread. Yum.
Why a southwestern panzanella, then? Well, we had all of the stuff left over from our Labor Day Party, and I hate throwing away food. So, a delicious Mexican-Mediterranean fusion meal was born. The next time you have leftovers from taco night, I highly recommend giving this a whirl — it’s gratifying, but also very healthy.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed
- 3 green onions
- 2 ears corn, cooked
- 1/2 olive demi-baguette (I used Trader Joe’s)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 scoop stevia extract
- 1 cup cilantro, washed and removed from stem.
- 2 tablespoons garlic-infused olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp black pepper
Note: I think any number of toppings would go well on this. Avocado, cheese, and so on. Add whatever you like!
- Begin by washing lettuce, tomato, and green onions. Chop and dice into bite-size pieces, and add to a large serving bowl.
- Cut corn off of the ear, add kernels to your serving bowl.
- Cut bread into small pieces, but still large enough that they will hold up one the dressing is added. Add to your bowl.
- Combine your remaining ingredients in a blender (I used my Magic Bullet) and blend until smooth. Add half to the salad, mix well. You can add more dressing if you like, I found that half was plenty.
2 (very generous) servings | 441 calories | 65 g carbs | 16 g fiber | 16 g protein